Explaining The Difference

So I may have mentioned a while back (probably on Twitter) that my Kid asked me – in the shower one day – where my willy was. You know, because we’d done the whole learn the parts of your body by naming them thing, and now he was progressing towards asking what each body part does/is for.  You can’t really exclude the penis from an anatomy lesson – because clearly it’s there and it is unmissable. (Sidenote: as for why it’s called a willy, and not a penis – I’m not entirely sure, but I don’t think I was the one responsible for calling it that.)

Anyway. He’d asked me where my willy was, and so I had to explain that there’s a diference between girls (me) and boys (him and his Daddy) and the difference is that girls have vaginas, and boys have willies.

“Oh, so you’re a girl mommy, and girls have “GINAS (pronouced jaaai-nas) and mommy’s got NO willy because mommy’s got a ‘GINA – YOU GOT A ‘GINA MOMMY.” (picture him jumping up and down and pointing)

A few weeks later, my Kid proves just how much he’s his father’s child (with the elephantine memory gene clearly being present) by displaying his ability to recall past acquired knowledge, by informing an elderly black man in the busy queue outside the ATM (not to mention everyone within a 20ft radius) that his mommy is a girl because she’s got a ‘gina not a willy.

Um. Bless?!

*Photo: Boys and their fascination with their tackle: starts early. never ends, apparently.
** Potty training update: every night before bathtime, he makes a number two, in the potty. I usually have to bribe him with the promise of an ice lolly in the bath, but generally it happens. Still not much progress on getting him to want to use the potty to make a number one. So it looks like nappies will be here for a while yet.
*** And yes, I’m so controversial I posted a picture of my Kid sitting on the potty. But don’t worry, it was a false alarm this time ’round.

This entry was posted in life things, love things, parenting things and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Explaining The Difference

1. getting by says:

LOVE IT!!! Been there 🙂

The questions get better as they get older, wait till the hair questions start…

Also try and explain how the male part stays inside the female part to a curious 8 year old who turns greener with every detail. Haha, he asked and i refuse to lie, so he got the facts 🙂
    .-= getting by´s last blog ..Fill her up with faith please… =-.

LOL. Aaron asked me what his penis is for… I told him its for making a wee…
    Also trying to get him to use the toilet but he wont use it at home, school is fine! Home, not so much…
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..Finally! Its only taken about 4 years!! =-.

3. Fatima says:

It’s quite funny that he doesn’t want to pee in a potty, but would rather poo. Normally (from what I’ve heard), it’s the other way around!

Btw, he’s growing up beautifully!

And yes, kids say the darndest things but it’s all innocent fun 🙂 Enjoy it as it doesn’t last very long :/
    .-= Fatima´s last blog ..The temptation of the Eclair =-.

That is why when my son started noticing these kinds of things, that I stopped bathing and showering with him.
    Kids will be kids 🙂
    .-= blackhuff´s last blog ..The Sorcerer’s Apprentice =-.

5. Ok so if we now get him and L together we can sort this potty business out. L will happily pee in it the whole day, he might even tell you he wants to. He refuses to no 2. Point blank. And no, he does not want to be bribed. I am clearly frustrated.
    .-= cat@juggling act´s last blog ..Recycling more than just junk =-.

6. danyelle says:

my silly monkey has always just called it a penis. nothing else ever caught on. and now i know our joint shower time is officially over, as he last asked “mommy, why do you have a beard instead of a penis?” kids are funny. sometimes strange, too.

7. The Jackson Files says:

So one day I was explaining to Jackson that I was going to CHINA for work and he’s quiet for a bit, looks at me quizzically and says: you are going to CHINA because you are a girl, hey mommy? And now I can only ever think of CHINA as VAG-CHINA.

8. Gandre says:

Kids… God’s little awkward-moment machines…

9. Louisa says:

Hahahaha! Beautiful… 😀

Many moons ago when I was still married my ex’s niece was somehow taught that girls have breasts and boys don’t – you have no idea how much laughter was caused at one family gathering when she queried the man-boobs on one of the uncles.
    .-= Louisa´s last blog ..240 of 365 =-.

Boys are indeed forever fascinated with their tackle!
    I’m glad you started teaching him properly.
    😀
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..Blogging My Blog- Cat @ Juggling Act Asked… =-.

11. karen says:

very well written. done the whole discussion thing except my #hazard tells everyone that “mommy has a willy in her bum”… precious? not so much!

12. Amy says:

Very funny story. Kids also fail to know the difference between being discreet. What can be discussed in public and what cannot. 🙂 good luck with the potty training.