It’s Not Quite The Same, But Totally Is

…and I don’t care if that doesn’t make sense.

I was reading this post by Angel, and I suddenly realised, after reading this paragraph, what I’d been experiencing lately:

“You know those moments when, as a parent, you look at your baby and realise he or she isn’t a baby anymore, but a young child? Or the moment when you look at him walking into the school gate and he’s suddenly so tall?I had one of those moments.”

Okay, so it’s totally out of context, and it’s totally on a much smaller scale (being that my Kid is only two, while hers is two-plus-seventeen) but the realisation hit afresh all the same. Just like it did when I was drying him when I took him out of the shower this morning and I realised that he already stands hip-high on me. He has long legs. Long arms.He’s only two years old and he’s 97cm tall already. My baby is going to be a very tall man one day.

My baby is not a baby anymore.

Exhibit A:

versus:

Exhibit B:

versus:

Exhibit C:

versus:

It’s not just my imagination, is it?

This entry was posted in life things, love things, parenting things and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to It’s Not Quite The Same, But Totally Is

When I have read the same paragraph on Angel’s blog this morning, I’ve realized that it is so true with my kids as well.

I can’t believe my son is 8 this year and my youngest almost 3. Too hectic too realise how much they have grown up. All of a sudden when you look at them.
    .-= blackhuff´s last blog ..How old are you? =-.

2. joyanne says:

Yes he is growing up, and yes it does happen way, way too fast. But goodness your child is a beautiful boy and more so in every photo!

Can’t believe my baby is gonna be a teenager next year. Now THAT’s some scary shit!

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention ExMi » It’s Not Quite The Same, But Totally Is -- Topsy.com

Random scrap of info – someone told me that the height your kid is at 2 years old, must be doubled, and that is the height they will be for adult life. Apparently.

5. Alet says:

It is a scary thought!
    Man oh man, what I would give to have my little Logan in infant form again for a quick cuddle!
    .-= Alet´s last blog ..Patience is not a strength =-.

6. Taryn says:

You know what’s weird? You start to realise it as an adult. I was thinking the other day “I’m 22!?!” and wondering who allowed this to happen?
    On a more parental note, an exceptionally close family friend of mine (more like my baby sister) recently turned 17 – SEVENTEEN! I used to babysit her after creche, I taught her to skip with a skipping rope, I taught her to count to 10 and spell all 10 letters of her name. When did she turn into a teenager, and who authorised this?

No its not. Those moments are quite startling aren’t they…
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..Blog Challenge =-.

8. Her post touched me so deep. But all of a sudden, they are not babies any more. They are boys.

9. sass says:

not being a biological mom, i have the same experience with my dog whom i’ve had since a pup. i can’t believe the little body i used to cuddle with and hold on my lap, now probably weighs 40 kilos! mind-boggling.
    .-= sass ´s last blog ..grrrr…. =-.

10. Louisa says:

That’s it! I’m staring at Nicola all day long before she turns into a moody teenager. 😛

Your kid is exceptionally cute ExMi.
    .-= Louisa´s last blog ..78 – 86 of 365 =-.

Even though I DEFINITELY do not want any more kids and I do want to stop changing diapers and sterilizing bottles at some stage, I am pterified of the day my babies grow up and leave me 🙁
    .-= mommanats´s last blog ..The Top Ten Tuesday =-.

12. Sharon says:

I had the same thought when I read Angel’s blog. Scary shiz this growing up stuff!!
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..Meet the Beautiful Victoria =-.

Wow look at him, he is growing to quickly.