Oh, Crap!

The Kid is two years and five months old. Plenty old enough to start potty training, right? He knows when he’s making a pooh and tells me  so. He demands that his nappy be changed straight after a pooh. He knows when he’s making a wee, and takes great delight in weeing in the shower/bath/garden. Basically everywhere except the toilet/potty.

He REFUSES point blank to use the toilet. Or the potty. We’ve tried a potty like the one above, and we’ve tried a toddler toilet seat cover that fits over the toilet. No joy. We’ve tried letting him run around with no nappy on, and asking him every two seconds if he needs the toilet or if he needs to make a wee wee or make a poo. He just prefers to hold it in.

And if he can be holding it in, then surely he’s developing bladder and bowel control? At least that’s my thinking anyway. I have no idea why he’s refusing to use the toilet, or why he’s clinging to his nappies. He hates being without a nappy and if I let him run around without a nappy, he soon returns to me and asks me to put a nappy on him.

His daymother reports much the same as I have – refusal to use the potty. So bad was it the other day that he refused to make a poo in the toilet, even though he was clearly desperate. We went for a hot bath (that usually helps loosen the bowel) and I kept having to take him out the bath and hold him over the toilet. He would pretend to push, but nothing would come out. Eventually I left it alone and he didn’t pooh that day.

The following afternoon we were in the Pick n Pay, doing some shopping and he was standing in the trolley. Suddenly he started screaming and crying and clutching his bum and it was only when I bent right down next to him so he could whisper in my ear ‘mommy, I make a pooh and my bum is sore‘. Shame. My poor little monster.

I really have no idea what to do. Am I pushing him too early to do the potty training thing? I mean, I tried a couple months ago, just before his second birthday and he was having nothing of it.

Any advice? Any tips? Anyone else have any experience in this regard? Am pretty much clueless here, and am flying by the seat of my pants. So any advice from anyone would be much appreciated at this point!

This entry was posted in parenting things and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Oh, Crap!

My kid was the same age, so no he’s not too young. She took to it like a duck to water unfortunately.

Now to get night nappies right…. o_O

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention ExMi » Oh, Crap! -- Topsy.com

3. Sharon says:

I was so lucky with my boy, 2 days after his 2nd birthday he decided he was a big boy. That ended nappy use during the day & night.

Perhaps just spend time discussing that “big boys” go to the loo. Tell him he is a big boy now – eating, drinking from a cup etc. Let him accompany you/dad to the bathroom when you go. Explain benefits of no nappy but don’t push him. Make a big deal out of the wee that he does in the bath/garden or anywhere BUT the nappy. Maybe even reward it in the beginning?

I hope you find a solution that works for both of you soon.
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..Meet the Beautiful Victoria =-.

4. Super Sarah says:

I emailed you about our experiences, too long and complicated to put in a comment!

5. Books! with potty training and toilet usage as the main feature. everyday. it may be a slow process but it should help him see that its nothing to be afraid of..
    .-= imsonotablogger´s last blog ..To my loyal readers… =-.

Your situation is similar to the one my youngest have. She do the pee thing in the toilet but for some reason she poo in her panty and not on the toilet. I myself do not know what to do because my oldest was a breeze with this things.

Hope you get an solution and then you can tell me too.

I wish I had some uber advice for you…
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..Blog Challenge =-.

8. Kerrryn says:

Honestly, he’ll go potty when he’s ready. Just keep encouraging him, telling him he’s a big boy when he uses (or attempts to use) the potty. Don’t worry, it’ll come. All kids “go potty” at different stages. If you stress, he’ll stress and think there is something wrong with him. Positive reinforcement, and lots of patience!

I used a star chart/reward system. For every five stars Megan could have an ice cream/sweet treat of her choice.

1 Month and she was trained! But alas she is a girl and apparently its easier with girls! Thank god than that I have 2!
    .-= mommanats´s last blog ..Boobs Glorious Boobs =-.

10. Ok so I have one two and a half year old boy that is completely potty trained and even wakes up with a dry nappy. And another two and a half year old boy who simply refuses. I have decided to give it a rest – he will be off nappies before he is 6. Relax.
    .-= cat@juggling act´s last blog ..A morning at Safari nursery – Saturday snapshots =-.