I Never Quite Know

Apparently there’s a fine line between good taste and bad taste. Apparently kitsch is an entire division of taste on its own. I’ve always known I have slightly offbeat taste. The brighter it is, the more I’m inclined to want to have it. The more gaudy it is, the more sparkly it is and the more obnoxious in-your-face it is, the more I MUST have it NOW.

But sometimes I never know where I should be drawing the line between ‘fucking horrible’ and ‘bloody awesome’.  Don’t know what I mean? Let me show you. And then you can tell me what you think.

In line with my recent ebay/bidorbuy shopping discovery, I have selected a few items that I think I might like, but I’m not sure if it’s just that badtastebunny inside me that’s trying to claw its way out.

Exhibit A: The Green Bookshelf

Seller’s description: ” So …..er….it is very environmentally friendly – low carbon emissions…..and is cammo…for the Amazon….or St Patricks Day!!! Has 4 shelves and is yay high and yay wide and yay green. Made from heavy pine I think….or just green pine maybe? Great for the leprechaun’s room. Is a little sun bleached – never wore sun block, but still a lovable piece nevertheless. If you like green.”

Price: R220.00 (going up in increments of R20)

Exhibit B: The Canadian Jacket:

Seller’s description: “This beautiful floral jacket was purchased in Canada and only worn gently on two occasions.  it has a three quarter sleeve and a single button in the front.  it comes fully lined and can be worn in winter and summer.  It is a very stylish fit and be worn with both pants and skirts and even with jeans it looks fabulous.”

Price: R139.99

Exhibit C: Set of Blue & White Kitchen Canisters:

Seller’s description: “Set of 3 blue and white kitchen cannisters and lids with Dutch windmill decoration marked for “Barley” ; “Sugar” and “Rice”. Stamped “foreign” to base so are Japanese c.1920’s. There are a few chips to lids and one to the outer rim of the rice cannister. Measure approx. 18.5cm in height and 11.5cm in width.”

Price: R2.00

Exhibit D: Vase. Beautifully Decorated:

Seller’s description: “This vase is beautifully decorated and in good condition.  H:185mm”

Price: R55.00

**************************************************************

So what do you think?

Is there  ANY hope for me?

This entry was posted in life things, love things and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to I Never Quite Know

1. Julia says:

I LOVE the bookshelf.
    And I think that you should buy whatever YOU like. You are going to be surrounded by the stuff in YOUR house and if it makes YOUR heart sing then go for it and Eff the rest..x

2. Seriously girl, you have got to be joking. Ok, I am being all kitty here – but ahem no!
    .-= cat@juggling act´s last blog ..Friday – 7 May 2010 =-.

Um. I was tracking the exact same bookshelf, but based on price. What does that say about me? o_O

4. Samantha says:

Yes to the bookshelf – it’s bright and cheerful and as long as the rest of the furniture in the room its in is low key it’ll work. No to the rest. 🙂

5. Ilana says:

Ok, my opion…

Bookshelf: Will be nice in plain wood, not the green.

Jacket: NO! It’s too busy & to be honest, I can’t see you in it.

Canisters: Yes. Not too sure if it’s just cos they remind me so much of my mom’s kitchen, but those I love. My ma even has a white & blue milk jug like this in the shape of a cow, the milk comes out it’s mouth 🙂

Vase: The flowers are unfortunately a bit much, so it’s a no 🙁

Ummm do you plan on sanding the bookshelf? All I can say each to their own 😉
    .-= cassey´s last blog ..Decisions, decisions =-.

7. anib says:

ah dude.. i should’ve called you when my aunt threw out all her kitsch stuff recently. we MADE her throw it out, actually. 😉
    kitsch is ok.. but big flowers on ugly pots? oh dear. ok, as long as you dont put plastic flowers in there.. i’ll let you hang around. 😉

8. Wenchy says:

I do have a green book shelf also and I love the jacket!
    .-= Wenchy´s last blog ..Men are from Mars and woman talk (or cry). =-.

9. Po says:

#i think the shelf is awesome, but the vase… erm no.

10. Pingback: Tweets that mention I Never Quite Know: Apparently there’s a fine line between good taste and bad taste. Apparent... {new blog post} -- Topsy.com

Love everything except the book shelf and the vase…
    That jacket is TEH AWESOME!
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..Gripe of the day… =-.

12. tanya says:

Wow… We have very
    different taste!!
    I hate them all… Sorry! 😉

13. my whole house is decorated from bid or buy. and ebay. and i SWEAR if you don’t get those blue and white thingys THEY WILL BE IN MY KITCHEN. happy bidding.
    .-= thejacksonfiles´s last blog ..Well slap an apron on me and send me back to the 1950s =-.

14. ps. how the heck do you wear something GENTLY?

15. TotallyCooked says:

awesome – your badtastebunny has practically escaped – although the shelf is a damn good price and BF is almost very good at painting – the descriptions of the items do make you WANT to buy

16. Oi, they are a little bright 🙂
    .-= Jeanette Verster´s last blog ..125/365 – Looking up =-.

17. kyknoord says:

I’m too colour-blind to offer a useful opinion. In any case, when it comes to taste, the only opinion that really matters is yours.
    .-= kyknoord´s last blog ..Lurking in dark corners =-.

18. Charms says:

Um, you are kidding, right?

I like exhibit C. Those Canisters are stunning. The others, unfortunetly not. Sorry.

Hell yeah for the bookshelve thing but the rest is a bit fugly. But that’s me. I don’t have any taste and when I do like something I’m usually the only one so just keep on being unique!
    .-= mommanats´s last blog ..Being a mom…………. =-.

Okay… the first, third and last one are fanTAStic for my traditional annual sibling supper horrible gift!
    The second one… no, there’s no hope for you.
    None.
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..Crime Sucks! =-.

22. sleepyjane says:

I quite like the sugar, tea and coffee canisters. 🙂
    .-= sleepyjane´s last blog ..I just had to =-.

23. Alet says:

Love the jacket and I love the bookshelf!!
    The blue and white is cute but not me at all!!
    .-= Alet´s last blog ..Feels Like Home by Chantal Kreviazuk =-.

24. Goose says:

If you ever pitch up wearing that jacket I might have to kill you and dump your body in a river.

Sorry – just my 2 cents – I know I’ll get a ‘fuck you’ reply out of it – I don’t care.

xx
    .-= Goose´s last blog ..So I haven’t blogged in over a month – so what? =-.