If It’s *Not* Not Complicated, Then What Is It?

My Facebook relationship status reads “it’s complicated”. My dad asked me the other day why that was. I didn’t really know how to answer it, except to say, well, the answer to that is complicated too.

Why so?

Well. There’s not exactly an option under relationship status that lets you tick the little box next to a description: well, I’ve been living with my boyfriend for nearly two and a half years, we’ve been dating for three and a half years and we have a two and a half year old son. We’re living together – which means we’re not ‘dating’ per se. We’re not engaged, but we’re more than just boyfriend and girlfriend. It’s like we’re married, but it’s not.

So, if it’s not not complicated, then what is it?

I certainly don’t have a clue.

This entry was posted in life things, love things, relationship things and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to If It’s *Not* Not Complicated, Then What Is It?

1. blade says:

I think “its complicated” was added there just for swingers.
    .-= blade´s last blog ..My Purgatory =-.

so it’s more of a “mormons only” option?

2. Tanya says:

in a relationship…?
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..If you had told me… =-.

but it’s more than *just* a relationship. I mean, “in a relationship” implies that you’ve committed to each other, but not ENTIRELY. ie: the step before moving in together. or is that just me?

3. joyanne says:

hear hear, i agree we need more options.

mine would be

*we fell pregnant 12 years ago and split before the baby was born.
    *we sort of had some kind of weird relationship that was sometimes more intimate than other times while he was living with someone else and having a kid with them.
    *we got back together 3 years ago.
    *we live in two houses sometimes but in one house a lot of the time.
    *he’s not even in the same country for 6 months of the year.

on second thoughts, maybe ‘it’s complicated’ does cover that, too!
    .-= joyanne´s last blog ..Wherein I Reveal My Insecure Side =-.

maybe we need that “it’s complicated” option to have a textbox labelled “explain”?

4. wobbly01 says:

I know that feeling all to well ive also been living with my partner for many years and we have a daughter together who will be 4 in june-we do everything together as a “married couple” the only difference is we dont have the piece of paper or the rings that say we are husband and wife

my point exactly. i mean, there’s more commitment than just “in a relationship”, right?

5. NickiD says:

Aren’t ALL relationships “complicated” … if things are “perfect”, things aren’t right!!!

things are always bloody complicated, and sometimes i get really tired of explaining the whys and hows. πŸ™

6. Shebee says:

Ya, I agree with Nickid. You’re in a relationship dude. That’s all there is to it.
    .-= Shebee´s last blog ..To My Boyfriend Person. =-.

but what if i want MORE?

7. I think that buttons fills for everything that is not particularly under another heading. But hec, all relationships are complicated.

8. Kristen says:

I have always thought of the “Its complicated” option as a bad thing – you know, for people going through a break up etc. But I guess sometimes it is all good, just complicated πŸ™‚

Hmmm maybe it should be “it’s a good complicated”? I tend to think like Kristen said, when you say it’s complicated it means something bad is afoot…it’s tricky.
    .-= cassey´s last blog ..I’ve been thinking =-.

10. I think facebook should definitely have a “living together” option. “It’s Complicated” sounds more like the stage in a relationship where you are not sure whether you are really together or not – when you are not really committed yet. This could give other people the idea that they are welcome to hit on you.
    In my eyes living together is like being married – a fully committed relationship. Just my two cents…

11. sass says:

i don’t know why some people don’t get it?! i nearly had a break-up over “it’s complicated”. and the reality is, it’s complicated! πŸ™‚
    .-= sass´s last blog ..more scrambled eggs =-.

12. Briget says:

Its all complicated.. LOL!

I am in a similarish position.. and I now refer to him as “boklam”..

Facebook should consider adding a new option “boklamming”

πŸ˜‰

Briget is “boklamming” with Glen …

Right on I agree.
    .-= Bobbi Janay´s last blog ..Potluck =-.

Complicated or not, when you’re with someone, married or not married, living together, then you’re in a relationship. And yes, we need more options or the option to elaborate.

It could be fun to make up your own one depending on how the week has been… “P
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..I Am… =-.

16. Wenchy says:

all relationships are complicated
    .-= Wenchy´s last blog ..My Birthday WISH Gift List =-.

17. i would pay you to make that your “about me” section. and under children section i’d wish i could add:

i think i have a child although i’m pretty certain she’s a science experiment gone wrong.