On Change, And How It’s Supposedly As Good As A Holiday

So it’s been about 17 months since my last hair cut. Tragic, I know. But. I have a phobia about hairdressers. More specifically, I have a phobia of hairdressers who are too enthusiastic with their scissors.

Sure, hair grows back – but a shit haircut is with you for at least a few months before it grows out – and I’ve not found anyone in the four years I’ve lived in Johannesburg, that I trust enough to touch my hair every 6-8 weeks. It’s just a huge risk. If it goes wrong, you’ll feel awkward whether you’re indoors planning to hide and visit Foxybingo and telecommute, or you’re out on the town and you’re aware of the unwanted attention paid towards your somewhat disappointing hairstyle.

I’ve always had long hair and when I say ‘long hair’ I mean practically butt-length-long-hair. Until I had a frothy about something the one day, about 5 years ago, and I cut all the length off, and it was just below my shoulders. I’ve had varying styles and lots of different hairdressers try different things with my hair – but I’ve never been happy with it, and thus developed my aversion to the hairdresser’s scissors.

Today, at 2pm I am (hopefully) conquering that fear of the snip-snip and have booked myself an appointment to have my hair cut and styled and to have an assessment for colour. Colour has never been an issue for me – I’m blonde, I like it and every now and again it needs a bit of chemical assistance. Style is something I’m battling with right now. Having had the same look for a while now – shaggy-ish bob with a side parting – is getting a bit old.

So it’s time for a change. This is what I was thinking. Blunt-ish, side-parted sort of fringe thing with some side layers?

But I’m not sure about it, because well. I haven’t had a fringe like this since I was 8 years old and I *still* remember how bothersome it is.

Am I silly to want a fringe-type thing? Is it just going to get in my face all the fucking time?

And lastly. Do I need a hairdryer/straightener or some piece of hair-wrestling equipment that I don’t have, and have no interest in buying?

What do you think? Help me out here!

This entry was posted in life things, love things and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to On Change, And How It’s Supposedly As Good As A Holiday

1. Robert says:

I’d say hang off… mostly I’m as equally phobic about having my hair cut. For me it’s an insanely emotional process… and dear god I’m a straight guy!

I’d say stick to a slight trim of the ends. That’s pretty much all I do every year or so. Tragic I dunno, defiant damn right! πŸ˜‰

Good luck either way. πŸ™‚
    Robert´s last blog post ..rhcerff- Content Spinning AKA Article Spinning http-tco-RYZKTVO

I like it.
    Your hair is dead straight right? So you shouldnt need a straightener but you may need a round brush and a blow dryer for the fringe.
    Personally, as much as I like the idea of a fringe, practically they are a pain in the bum. You need to keep it the right length (and cutting it yourself is a recipe for disaster) and you do need to ‘style’ it otherwise it can look flat.
    All that being said, I think this would look great on you πŸ™‚
    Gina´s last blog post ..Not again!

Fringes are a big hassle, and lots of effort. They also take ages to grow out, and you will need a straightener.
    cassey´s last blog post ..Blog challenge – Wishes

4. Lisa Troy says:

I have the SAME fear, but I think most women do because hairdressers do in fact cut your hair shorter than what you specified. As for bangs, they are very bothersome. I’ve had them for the last 2 years, and I’m ready to quit them. They make styling your hair easier though.

5. lauren says:

Don’t do the fringe thing! Its a pain in the bum! And you’ve got to get it trimmed every 2-3 weeks to keep it looking right. I’ve tried it a few times in the last couple of year, and its never worked for me πŸ™‚

If your hair is straight, you shouldn’t need the above mentioned stuff. I hate the stuff too.
    I’m sure you’ll look stunning with that style!
    I’d say if you’re already thinking the fringe is a pain in the ass, doont do it πŸ™‚

6. Robi says:

I chop my hair all the time. I’m constantly colouring it, cutting it, growing it, blah blah. I’m thinking of going with a fringe again for the colder season, because, why not? Hope it’s as fabulous as you want it to be. πŸ™‚
    Robi´s last blog post ..New opportunities Ill take it

7. Jenty says:

Enjoy the pampering πŸ™‚ hope we’re going to see photos as soon as you’re done!!
    Jenty´s last blog post ..Moms’ conversation triggers

8. flarkus says:

Long blonde hair? *sighhhhh*

Long blonde hair with a fringe? *gibber*

But hey, it’s your hair, your appearance that you have to admire in the mirror and your effort to keep in an admirable state. Go wild, shave it crew-cut, colour it blue and forget about all the unnecessary kit!

The fringe thing is perhaps a no-go zone. Like the one lady said – it takes forever to grow out to the length of your other hair.
    blackhuff´s last blog post ..New shoes

10. AndyWandy says:

I really think it would suit you *but* you have to be willing to make the effort to style it every morning.

I cut a fringe a while back. I am not a morning person and therefore refuse to wake up early to wash and style my hair every single day. I used to blow dry my fringe at night but it would be flat by the morning.

Needless to say, I looked like a wonky idjit until I grew it long enough to not have to blow dry and just keep it to the side. πŸ˜›

11. Tara says:

Last years I haircut saw me doing the fringe thing again. Never used a straightener or blow dryer with it because, yeah, people know me and hair tools. It was alright for a while and then it just got fuck annoying. In other words, I don’t recommend going that route – but your hair looks like it behaves better than mine with it’s nice little trait of being completely straight and not retarded.

Now can you explain wtf a colour assessment is?
    Tara´s last blog post ..Pat on the Back

12. Natasha says:

And the results are……..?

13. Nadia says:

And? Pictures dear pictures!! πŸ™‚

So where is the “after” picture!??!
    πŸ˜€
    Angel´s last blog post ..An Email Funny Worth Sharing…