Someone Up There Has A Sick Sense of Humour….

….putting the two of us together.*

We couldn’t be more dissimilar if we tried: I’m laidback, easy-going, a wee bit lazy, scatter-brained and self-centred. He’s none of these things.

He looks after me: makes sure I have petrol in my car, that I have cigarettes and tampons and buys me books and ice cream.

He loves me: all of me. The lumps and bumps and scars and stretchmarks. Sends me text messages to tell me I’m beautiful.

He can be: a bit overbearing, possessive, inflexible and can ask too many hurtful questions at times. He obsesses over things he cannot change, over things that have happened so long ago that I’ve begun to forget.

He never: forgets. An elephant has nothing on his memory. He remembers every single little detail and calls me on it, when my details get a bit hazy.

It’s just as well: because, as he says, I’m not very good friends with the truth. He is my conscience, my voice of reason, my reality check. He makes me want to be a better person.

But sometimes: when we’re fighting, and when we’re hating each other, I imagine that there *is* someone upstairs. Someone with a seriously sick sense of humour. Someone laughing as I want to tear my hair out with frustration as once again I just can’t seem to get it right, no matter how hard I try. Someone poking fun at our attempts to be less stubborn, less cantankerous, less shouty, and just to love each other more.

And other times: we fit together so well. We finish each others’ sentences, or I verbalise what he was just thinking. And the other way around. Or I pick up my phone to call him, and it rings and flashes his name. Or the other way around.

Sometimes: loving him feels like the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.

And other times: it feels like I can’t remember the time before I loved him. The time before he was my life.

At all times: I’m reminded of this (if nothing else) that relationships are hard work. And that nothing worth having is not worth working for.

This is us. Working for it.

Working at it.

* These are our keys. I have a girl key-ring, he has a boy one. They’re magnetised – when they come near each other, they “kiss”. When they’re together, they’re a perfect fit. Much like us.

This entry was posted in life things and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Someone Up There Has A Sick Sense of Humour….

1. StevenMcD says:

so freaking true

2. sleepyjane says:

I love this. How boring would a relationship be if it was just perfect all the time? 🙂
    .-= sleepyjane´s last blog ..Things I did this weekend that were awesome =-.

3. NickiD says:

LOVE this! A relationship just isn’t a relationship if you’re not continuously working on it! Good for you! xoxo

4. Oh this all sounds so familiar. Great goping girl and a lovely post.
    .-= cat@juggling act´s last blog ..The weekend that was =-.

5. joyanne says:

as you know i totally relate, if not to the exact examples, then to the feeling of WTF are we doing together and can it really ever work / last? And how come despite all this I still want to keep at it, keep working, keep loving, keep hoping. The good moments are SO GOOD. The crap moments can be SO FRUSTRATING and can hurt like hell.

Only time will tell if hanging in there is the right thing to do, I guess, for both of us.
    .-= joyanne´s last blog ..Happiness is… =-.

I like those key rings. Very cute and very nice post
    .-= blackhuff´s last blog ..The small things in life =-.

This is a great post, it is a reminder to us all that it work.
    .-= Bobbi Janay´s last blog ..Dog Days of Summer =-.

8. Wow. You have NO idea how much I can relate to this today. I am seriously feeling very much separate and different from my man today…to the point where I wonder if we can make it work after all.
    .-= Momma Sunshine´s last blog ..Happiness Is… =-.

9. kyknoord says:

So you’re saying falling in love with your own clone is bad?
    .-= kyknoord´s last blog ..Necromancy made easy =-.

10. T says:

Dear lord I SOOO get this.

Thanks for putting it so clearly.
    .-= T´s last blog ..An Examination of Marriage- Hierarchy of Needs =-.

11. Jeanette says:

Oh awesome!! And I love those keyrings 🙂
    .-= Jeanette´s last blog ..196-365 – A Venus Protea =-.

12. danyelle says:

cute post. though i had trouble getting past the part about his being sure you have tampons. really? men will actually do that?!

Such honesty.
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..Be A Virtual Guest At AnGlugWedding! =-.