1. Vodka in my sippy cup. When I get home from work, The Kid, The Boyfriend (he drives, while I drink) and I head to the park. I have my smokes in my back pocket and a sippy cup (borrowed from The Kid) filled with vodka and cranberry juice. I get to sit on the grass and watch my Kid play on the slide, whilst I self-medicate with vodka and cigarettes. It’s a great way to end the day.
2. Cooking elaborate meals. Whenever I’m the busiest I’m likely to be, and have a bajillion deadlines looming and a million other things that need doing, is when I spend my best time in the kitchen, creating delicious meals and treats, from scratch. I cook, when I procrastinate. I cook well while I procrastinate. I love trying new recipes from the ever-growing collection I have on my kitchen shelf.
3. Long, hot baths. There’s nothing in life that can’t be put into perspective after a long, hot soak in the tub. It’s just about the only me-time I’m likely to get, so I really try squeeze the most out of it. Add some Body Thrills Stress Relief Bath Tea or some Pina Colada Bath Crystals – and it’s an entirely indulgent experience. Even more so if I’m using a Detox Smoothie Face Mask, which I did last night.
4. Tweetie for Mac: After ditching Twitter web, because I couldn’t handle the ‘who to follow’ horrendous suggestions (ie: everyone I unfollowed for various reasons) anymore, I decided to try out Tweetie for Mac. Absolutely heart it. All of the features I need, and none of the annoying clutter that’s taken over Twitter web.
5. The books I’m currently reading: A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (which I got on sale at Exclusive Books last week) and Book Twelve of the Wheel of Time, which I’ve been reading since January. I’ve also got the Sookie Stackhouse ebooks from SleepyJane that I’m looking forward to getting stuck back into. I’ve only read the first three in the series.
6. Alanis Morissette. Don’t be judgin’ me, okay? After abandoning her for nearly ten years, I’ve re-discovered the love. Especially with ‘Hands Clean’ and ‘Doth I Protest Too Much’.
7. Going to bed early. There’s nothing like an early night between the sheets and loads of sleep (which I have been quick to snatch lately) to do wonders for the grumps. Day time naps (when I can get them) work just as well.
8. Retail therapy. Be it for me, or The Kid, there’s nothing quite like bending my plastic to make me feel better. How cute are these two tees I picked up for my boy the other day? The skeleton one glows in the dark. Seriously rad shit.
9. Episodes of Tacky House/Clean House on The Style Network. Switching off the brain and watching other people’s disastrous living spaces get picked apart is really, really soothing. Especially in light of the fact that we’re still nowhere close to being finished with the upstairs loft makeover, and a recent decision that at the end of the year, we will be putting our house on the market.
10. Chocolate-covered digestive biscuits. Three words: heavenly comfort food. Perez on the CD player in my car. Smoking cigarettes in traffic. Small moments of enjoyment. Small things keeping me sane.
How bout you?
What’s keeping the lid from blowing off your week?